Representatives of our three schools, along with Nate Angell of rSmart, began conferencing a few weeks ago in order to discuss their mutual desire to provide multiple methods integrating SunGard Banner and Sakai.
As many of you know, to date there are two methods to provision ones LMS or CLE.
A. Administratively create course site shells each semester for all, or a majority, of your course offerings. When Instructors login, their course and its enrollments are already in place and managed by the SIS integration.
B. Allow (change the verb here depending on your perspective…) Instructors to create their own course sites and to choose which groups of students (rosters) are given access.
Tufts, Notre Dame and U of South Alabama are currently constructing what their requirements look like for a middle way, a third method in which:
– all course site shells are created and instructors given access
– instructors wanting the flexibility to re-arrange which groups of students (rosters) can access their course are free to create a new course shell and to add various rosters to it (still maintaining enrollment synchronization with Banner).
- Multiple sections can then interact in a single course site.
- The rosters from the pre-built crosslisted course sites could also be re-combined if instructors are teaching multiple sections of those.
- Final grades can be submitted from Sakai back to Banner no matter whether the instructor is using a pre-built course site or one they created and added rosters to themselves.
The requirements process is in its early stages. Is your institution interested? Please comment.